02 September 2009

Book Review - Stories Grandma Never Told

Stories Grandma Never Told: Portuguese Women in California Stories Grandma Never Told: Portuguese Women in California by Sue Fagalde Lick






My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book follows the lives of Portuguese immigrants (all are women) and their daughters. It covers the culture, education, language, and careers of these women. It was a great read for me since I am of Portuguese descent to try to understand what these women were like and what it was like to move to a new country and learn a new language. I never realized what strong work ethic they had and what resilient people they were and are. It certainly makes me proud of my heritage. It also has a great bibliography so that I can find more books on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment