08 March 2010

Fearless Females - Women's History Month Prompt #6

March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)


I'm lucky enough to have received several items from my female ancestors!
I inherited a quilt made by my paternal grandmother, Arlene. My parents had possession of it and it was passed nonceremoniously down to me when my parents divorced. It is a pink and white quilt and I'm not sure the reason why it was made.
I also received a pitcher that my aunt made. It is blue and white and beautiful. It was made for my parents and was given to me by my mother.
 
One other thing I received was a Bride Doll from my mother. It was her favorite doll that she received when she was 5 years old. She gave it to me when I was 5 years old. I loved it so much then and would just stare at it. It sits in a box in my closet now and the dress needs some repair, but maybe I will pass it down to my daughter when she is 5!
The last item I'm sharing is a painting done by my maternal grandmother, Helen. She used to love the Joy of Painting guy. She never had any formal lessons, but decided one day to try out painting. She was actually pretty amazing! When my step-grandfather passed away recently, we found a bunch of her paintings. Luckily there were enough for all of us to have one, including my son who has one hanging in his room.

No comments:

Post a Comment