04 March 2010

Fearless Females - Women's History Month Daily Blogging Prompts - March 3

March 3 — Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree.


I have yet to find any ancestors with my name, Monica. I know that I was not named after anyone. My mother just liked the name.
 
My side of the family tree was not very creative in the naming of their girls. A lot of common names. My favorite one though is of my maternal great-grandmother, Lena. I know this was not an unusual name at the time, but I had never heard of it before. Of course now, it jumps out at me whenever I am perusing through names. I just think it's so pretty. It was not a nickname either as far as I know. Although she did name two of her girls Helen (first was an infant that died; the second was my grandmother born later), which could possibly be a variation of her full name. I have yet to find anything that actually states that though.
 
There was also a Tryphena in there on my paternal side. That's a name I hadn't heard before and I don't hear nowadays.
 
My husband's family tree has a couple of different names: Alois and Evadne. Also, my step-grandfather's family line has Lulu and Rilla. These are all unusual to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment