08 March 2010

Fearless Females - Women's History Month Prompt #7

March 7 — Share a favorite recipe from your mother or grandmother’s kitchen. Why is this dish your favorite? If you don’t have one that’s been passed down, describe a favorite holiday or other meal you shared with your family.



In all honesty, I am unable to think of a favorite recipe passed down. It does not appear that we had "family recipes" that were passed down through the generations, which is unfortunate. My maternal grandmother was Portuguese so I'm sure she learned some of those dishes as a child. She had a couple of dishes that she said were Portuguese: Portuguese beans and Portuguese tear bread. I could not confirm the authenticity of them though.
 
I do know that everyone in my family loved these "Portuguese beans"... except me. I believe they were just cooked beans (I can't remember the kind) and were served in a pile with broken up cornbread. And ketchup. Doesn't sound very authentic! ;) I never liked them though. I recently borrowed a Portuguese cookbook from the library and made a kale soup. It was good, but I'm not a huge soup fan and my son was a little wary of the green soup.
 
One thing that we all love though on that side of the family is linguica, a Portuguese sausage. I am always trying to find it in the stores and add it to recipes. We cook it up for breakfast, put it in our spaghetti, and have added it to other pasta dishes. My children love it and I can't seem to get enough of it!
 
There aren't any German/Dutch (paternal) recipes passed down that I'm aware of. My dad is a creative cook and makes up a lot combinations of things to put together. The two that I have continued doing myself are Velveeta and onion sandwiches and a peanut butter sandwich with hot cauliflower. Just writing those two sandwiches down make me want to have one of each!
 
Personally, I have perfected recipes for both homemade refried beans and homemade salsa (after many, many batches of each of them!). I will definitely be passing these recipes down to my own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment