08 March 2010

Fearless Females - Women's History Month Prompt #8

March 8 — Did one of your female ancestors leave a diary, journal, or collection of letters? Share an entry or excerpt.


Unfortunately, there are no diaries or letters in my family that I personally am aware of. I'm not sure if they just weren't written or if they weren't saved.
 
My mother kept these "Country Diaries" for a few years. They are those diaries that you could order through the mail and there is a small box for each day of the month. She would just write little excerpts, mainly about us kids. I have all of them, even the ones that she only wrote a couple of entries in.
 
Here is one entry on March 6, 1984:
"Monica says she now has 8 boyfriends. What is she going to do with all those boys? She wants to marry Chris H. Daddy is still working too many hours. Chris still lives in never-never land. Mommy found another job, more interesting. ... Monica's feet are in my face!"
 
That's hilarious... most of the entries are random little tidbits like this one, but they are fun to look back on! As the years progressed, I started adding little entries in. I tried to do these books again a couple of years ago, but I don't have the discipline to enter something in every day. Looking at them makes me want to try again though!

2 comments:

  1. I too have tried and failed at diaries - think most little girls do attempt at some point! Ha! Now we all have blogs of one kind or another! You have been awarded the ANCESTORS APPROVED AWARD - please visit me at Amore e Sapore di Famiglia to acceot!
    Bonnie (valentinoswife)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica -

    I've nominated you for an Ancestor Approved Award! You can pick it up here.

    ReplyDelete