18 April 2011

Motivation Monday - DearMYRTLE Feb 2011 Organization Checklist

I finally completed all the tasks in DearMYRTLE's January 2011 Organization Checklist. I have to admit I am not completely sold on transferring all my files into Dropbox. I love Dropbox and it's capabilities, but there are several reasons why I do not want to transfer all of my stuff there.

  • I already have links in my Legacy program connected to where all my media is currently located. If I switched them all it would take a lot of work to go through my program and switch everything over. 
  • I don't want to pay for space on Dropbox. I have a hard enough time justifying the money I spend to my non-genealogist husband without adding to it. I don't think my multitudes of media will fit in the free 2 GB provided. 
  • I don't want some of my personal information in the "cloud." I have it on my hard drive and feel that it is safe on there. I am not convinced of the safety of my information on the "cloud." If I put some stuff in Dropbox and others on my hard drive it is then breaking all my information apart and I currently have it all under one parent file "Family History" (with plenty of subcategories). 
I do like the convenience of having some of that media available, so I am considering making copies of some of it and filing it in Dropbox, but I haven't made any final decisions yet due to the lack of determining which would be important enough to copy.

So I am moving on to February's Checklist. I have yet to participate in a Scanfest. Unfortunately, my alarm on my phone went off for yesterday's Scanfest during the movie Hop that I was watching with my daughter during our Girls Day Out. I don't regret missing it because it was time well spent with my little girl! So I will have to schedule for the next one and hopefully remember the day before instead of 10 minutes before it starts!

February's checklists consists of choosing a genealogy program, volunteer indexing, joining mail lists, getting started on photos, and continuing to work on the genealogy binders. As I read through the checklist, I've realized I've already done everything on this list! I actually have been in the process of categorizing, scanning and organizing my photos for some time now. It is as huge project because I have always been an avid photographer! I managed to check everything off the list in the 5-10 minutes it took me to read it!

I am doing my data entry differently than she is recommending it since I already had a system set up and will just continue to use that. So this week I will continue to work on getting those papers entered into my Legacy program and move on to the DearMYRTLE's Genealogy Blog: 2011 March Organization Checklist! I'm hoping to be completely caught up by the time she posts the May Checklist!

No comments:

Post a Comment