04 April 2011

Motivation Monday - DearMYRTLE's Jan 2011 Organization Checklist

I know this is April, but I just started frequenting Twitter and realized that DearMYRTLE has a checklist for getting yourself organized from a genealogy standpoint in the year 2011. I am a little late to the game, but I'm starting with the January 2011 Checklist so that I can go in order. Luckily, I've already done the majority of it, but the one thing I do have to change is my hard copy filing system.

When I started using Legacy I found this website with a filing plan that has a customized plan for Legacy as well as other genealogy programs. I started implementing it and it was effective enough. It used a numbering system based on marriages that were assigned to each family group. You would file all the paperwork for that family group under a tab with their marriage number. The only real issue I had with it was that there were A LOT of numbers! There was also a lot of dead space in my binders where I didn't have very much paperwork, if any, on certain family groups.

When reading DearMYRTLE's checklist, I loved her idea of having your genealogy binder read like a coffee table book. What sold me though, was her comment about someone else coming in on the scene and not understanding my system. I don't think my husband would be able to walk in and know that he had to look up each family in an index system to find their number and pull them all separately. And if I told him that, he'd probably walk right back out again! So I decided to switch to DearMYRTLE's plan so that it's more user friendly. I now have stacks of paper all over the floor to be sorted into the new system. Then I will be done with January and can move on to February's checklist!

No comments:

Post a Comment