13 May 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Bedroom


Week 19. Bedroom. Describe your childhood bedroom. What furniture did it contain? Were there curtains, wallpaper or paint? Was it messy or clean? Did you share a room with your siblings?

My childhood bedroom was the old master bedroom in the house that I grew up in. My dad built a new master bedroom onto the house and my brother and I drew straws over who got to have the old master bedroom. The room itself wasn't that much bigger, but it had a large bathroom with double sinks, a standing shower, and a separate bathtub. It was pretty nice for a kids' bathroom.

When I was in elementary school, my bed was a white, almost resin-like four poster bed with gold trim. I had the matching dresser. I loved it. My mom made me a comforter and a canopy for the bed. I felt so fancy sleeping in it! I had shelves on the wall full of dolls and stuffed animals. I had the old-school boombox for listening to the radio and tapes. And books. Books were always part of the picture! I don't remember that many of them actually belonging to me. I was that person that checked out the limit of 60 books at a time.

I was such a packrat! I had old letters sent from friends during class. Every. Single. One. Even if it just said "Hi." I kept gifts given to me, even little trinkets that really shouldn't have been saved. I had such a hard time getting rid of anything because I was and am a sentimental person. (Side Note: Luckily I am able to let go of things more easily now, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I finally donated all those stuffed animals. I had them stored in my grandpa's shed the entire time! Yikes! I kept one duck from when I was a baby and let my son pick one out; the rest of them went to Goodwill.)

Every weekend I had to do chores, which included cleaning my room. I was not a clean child. I had many, many, MANY stuffed animals that I couldn't bear to part with that never seemed to stay on the shelf, every My Little Pony there ever was (should have kept that collection!), cassette tapes all over the place, clothes never put away, and miscellaneous odds and ends all shoved into my closet. Most of the time my idea of cleaning was shoving it... into the closet, into drawers, under my bed.  I would spend all day in my room "doing my chores." It consisted of me reading until about 30 minutes before I was supposed to have it done and then frantically running around shoving things into places.

My parents like to tell a story about how one year they were cleaning out my closet (each one tells the story as if they were the only person in there slaving away at my awful closet) right before school was about to start and they found an sandwich in my closet... from the previous school year. I would go on to say that they were just exaggerating, but it was probably true! :)

© copyright Monica Palmer, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment